In order to qualify for a concession on rates:

  • Applicants must be responsible for the payment of rates on the property which is their principal place of residence.
  • Applicants must be eligible and residing at their principal place of residence on the due date for the first quarter’s rates.

State Government Concessions:

You may be eligible for council rates concession (and water and effluent charges, where applicable) if:

  • You are a pensioner and have a current Pensioner Concession Card or Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) Gold Card (TPI, EDA, WW) or receive a Centrelink Allowance.  Apply through the Department for Communities and Social Inclusion (DCSI) Concessions Hotline – 1800 307 758 or at using the on-line form.
  • You are a low income wage earner who meets the DCSI low income threshold.  Apply through the DCSI Concessions Hotline – 1800 307 758.
  • You are a Self-Funded Retiree who holds a State Seniors Card.  Apply through the DCSI Concessions Hotline – 1800 307 758.

For more information visit

Postponement of rates – Seniors:

Ratepayers who hold a State Seniors Card (or who are eligible to hold a State Seniors Card and have applied for one) are able to apply to Council to postpone payment of rates on their principal place of residence.  Postponed rates remain as a charge on the land and are not required to be repaid until the property is sold or disposed of.

Ratepayers who believe they are entitled to a concession should not withhold payment of rates pending assessment of an application by the State Government as penalties apply to overdue rates.