In order to qualify for a concession on rates:
- Applicants must be responsible for the payment of rates on the property which is their principal place of residence.
- Applicants must be eligible and residing at their principal place of residence on the due date for the first quarter’s rates.
State Government Concessions:
You may be eligible for council rates concession (and water and effluent charges, where applicable) if:
- You are a pensioner and have a current Pensioner Concession Card or Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) Gold Card (TPI, EDA, WW) or receive a Centrelink Allowance. Apply through the Department for Communities and Social Inclusion (DCSI) Concessions Hotline – 1800 307 758 or at www.sa.gov.au/concessions using the on-line form.
- You are a low income wage earner who meets the DCSI low income threshold. Apply through the DCSI Concessions Hotline – 1800 307 758.
- You are a Self-Funded Retiree who holds a State Seniors Card. Apply through the DCSI Concessions Hotline – 1800 307 758.
For more information visit www.sa.gov.au/concessions
Postponement of rates – Seniors:
Ratepayers who hold a State Seniors Card (or who are eligible to hold a State Seniors Card and have applied for one) are able to apply to Council to postpone payment of rates on their principal place of residence. Postponed rates remain as a charge on the land and are not required to be repaid until the property is sold or disposed of.
Ratepayers who believe they are entitled to a concession should not withhold payment of rates pending assessment of an application by the State Government as penalties apply to overdue rates.